the kiehn kids

Friday, April 11, 2014

Claire's Frozen birthday party

When we asked Claire what kind of party she wanted this year she was quite clear that she wanted a Frozen party.  I thought about making my own invitations, but as the date was fast approaching I was able to find this cute on on etsy and I had them printed at Costco.


Birthday surprise #2 for Claire was a visit from Elaina!  Pete was coming to town for the weekend for a bike race and Natalie called and asked if Elaina could come as well.  It was such great timing as she was able to come to the party.  We surprised her after school.  These two are so inseparable.


The party was on a Friday afternoon, so I picked Claire up from school and she put on her new Elsa dress. I did my best to also do an Elsa braid in her hair.    I had birch branches on the front porch and Olaf the snowman on the front door.


I did my best to create a snowy forest in mid April somewhere that it never snows.  I cut out all of these snowflakes on the Cricut and then sewed them into chains with clear thread.  Then I hung them in the entry way.



I raided my mom's Christmas decorations and got some tulle fabric at Joann's.  I put out carrots, popcorn pretzels and some cool reindeer cookies that my friend Breann made for me.


I made cut outs of each of the characters along with this super cool jello.  I used clear and blue jello.  The Jello was by far the favorite of the kids.  It was gone in the first 30 minutes.





When the kids arrived, I had a activity where they created snowflakes and did coloring on Frozen coloring pages.

Then came surprise #3.  Claire kept asking what we were going to be doing at her party and I was intentionally vague.  I had booked an Elsa princess to come to the house.  I did not tell Claire about Elsa, so when she arrived I had Claire open the door.  I wish that this picture hadn't been so dark.  She was so surprised when she opened the door.  She didn't know what to say.  Elsa was the main source of entertainment as she was going to be there for 1.5 hours.  We had 15 kids, so there was a lot of entertaining to do.

Elsa wished her a happy birthday and gave her a big hug.



When Elsa came in she sang Let it Go and the kids were absolutely enthralled by her. 



She invited Claire up and they sang some more.  All of the kids got into the hand motions.




Next she did a magic show with this little bag and a ripped piece of paper. 


She also had a magic book where the colored pages kept disappearing from.


Just when they thought it couldn't get any better she did face painting.  She gave them several choices, and most of them chose a Frozen theme.  Claire got to go first.  Elsa was singing and answering questions about the movie while she painted.  She was really fast!



Here are a few of the different faces she did.






Finally, she did balloon twisting.  Most of the girls chose a crown.  She didn't let them pick the color, so the line went faster.

They were all lined up anxiously awaiting their turns.  Several of the kids asked me if she was the real Elsa.  So cute!




A group shot with the painted faces and the balloon shapes.


Claire with Elsa just before she left.


As Elsa was waving goodbye, Grant was hitting people with his new sword.



After all that fun we had pizza and blue Kool Aid for dinner.


We were able to squeeze in cake time at the very end.  I made the cakes but totally ran out of time to make frost them, so my mom took my vision and made it a reality.  I was going for an ombre blue cake.


Ready to blow out the candles.


I even made the inside ombre.  I love how this turned out.



The favors were "true love kisses", blue rock candy, and a Frozen chapter book.  Overall, this may have been my best party yet mostly because of the entertainment.  The kids were entertained the whole time and I just got to watch.  Several of Claire's friends told her at school on Monday how fun the party was.  The next up: Easter!


No comments: